If you’re still on the fence about trying to build your own drawing robot/plotterbot, take heart. (Skip to the bottom of the post if you want to check out the latest 3D printable files and Arduino code.) If a relative newbie such as myself can make a go of it, I’m pretty sure you can too.
Last night1 I finally got the little ‘bot to really make use of the keypad as a modest user interface. The robot is now using the USB cable purely for power purposes, rather than requiring the serial connection to the Arduino serial monitor as well drawing power from the USB port. Now I can just connect the USB cable to a random USB charging device and operate the robot in a meaningful way by using the keypad.
In addition to the keypad direction system described in a previous post, now the “*” and “#” keys also have a usage. The “*” key now starts and stops the Arduino from logging the inputs.2 Pressing the “#” key will play the most recently recorded inputs.
My record/playback system is super hacky and the ‘bot sometimes jitters before carrying out a command. I’ll also have to implement a few additional changes to the design of Y axis before it can hold a pen reasonably stead.
But, it works!
- An Itty Bitty Drawing Robot
- Tiny CNC Drawing Robot - Cost Estimate
- How to Build a Tiny CNC Drawing Robot
- Better video of Tiny CNC Drawing Robot actually drawing
- Design considerations with the Tiny CNC
- Uses for a Tiny CNC Robot
- Tiny CNC - An Experiment in Commerce
- How to Wire a Tiny CNC
- Tiny CNC - now a 3 Axis CNC!
- Tiny CNC Software Update
- How to Build a Tiny 3-Axis CNC Drawing Robot
- Tiny 3-Axis CNC Drawing Robot - Software Update and Design version 0.29 postmortem
- Nine Drawing Robots On the Loose!
- Competing Design Ideals in a Drawing Robot
- Tiny Drawing Robot Updates, Incremental Progress, and More!
- The Tiniest Drawing Robot Actually Draws!
- Robot Friends: Tiny CNC and the WaterColorBot
- Tiny Drawing Robot Gallery
- TinyCNC Drawing Robot Software User Guide
- Drawing Robot AFRON 2013 Design Challenge Entry
- Robot Challenge Marathon
- TinyCNC Two steps forward, one step back!
- Drawing Robot In A Box
- Drawing By Numbers
- TinyCNC: Too Many Ideas
- TinyCNC - Working Keypad UI
- Don't let SkyNet win! Take this poll!
- Care and Feeding of Your TinyCNC Drawing Robot