This last weekend, when I should have been working, I was having a blast drawing tiny drawings with my tiny drawing robot. Under the kind and benevolent tutelage of TechNinja, I improved my Arduino and Processing sketches, started a repository for the software/firmware for the Tiny CNC drawing robot, and merged his pull request to add some code to make this little robot compatible with the CNC server software written to run the WaterColorBot and EggBot.
Above are probably the best drawings I’ve managed with my little robot to date. The drawing is about 2 inches tall. The one on the left is from a single “pass” of the drawing robot, the second is from the robot drawing the same picture three times in a row. I was quite surprised that the robot was able to draw the same picture several times and repeat the drawing so well.
This drawing, of a weeping angel from Doctor Who, is also about 2 inches tall. This image wasn’t the best topic to draw – but my daughter specifically requested it. I found a full color JPG/bitmap picture online, imported it into Inkscape, and converted it into a single-color vector graphic for the robot.
This one is a drawing of a robot turtle, from the game “Robot Turtles.” I pledged to help support this awesome game on Kickstarter and it arrived a little before Christmas. While it didn’t get immediate attention on Christmas day, we played the game for the first time a few days later and my daughter loved it. I think it was really smart to design the game with “unlockables” which give the game a gentle learning curve to start and a challenge later on right when the players start to get complacent. I pulled the JPG/bitmap image from the Robot Turtles community page, turned it into a two-tone vector image using Inkscape, and fired the drawing robot.
I also tried to draw a Death Star, but it turned out terrible. The SVG version of the image I found was terrible and the robot drawing was even worse.
- An Itty Bitty Drawing Robot
- Tiny CNC Drawing Robot - Cost Estimate
- How to Build a Tiny CNC Drawing Robot
- Better video of Tiny CNC Drawing Robot actually drawing
- Uses for a Tiny CNC Robot
- Tiny CNC - An Experiment in Commerce
- Tiny CNC - Going to 100
- How to Wire a Tiny CNC
- Tiny CNC - now a 3 Axis CNC!
- How to Build a Tiny 3-Axis CNC Drawing Robot
- Tiny Drawing Robot Updates, Incremental Progress, and More!
- The Tiniest Drawing Robot Actually Draws!
- Robot Friends: Tiny CNC and the WaterColorBot
- Tiny Drawing Robot Gallery
- TinyCNC Drawing Robot Software User Guide
- Drawing Robot AFRON 2013 Design Challenge Entry
- Care and Feeding of Your TinyCNC Drawing Robot
- Maker Faire 2016 Drawing Robot Presentation Slides